Is your leadership pipeline running dry? How long has this been a problem? I believe the reason we have a deficiency of leaders today is we never built a culture of leadership development yesterday. And if we don’t build a culture of leadership development today…guess what? Our organizations will have a deficiency of leaders tomorrow. But to make real change we must identify the root of the problem.
Here are just a few reasons why organizations may have a leadership shortage.
- Leadership development is not modeled by the executive level leaders
- Leadership development is not an expectation of current leaders
- Leadership development is not systematized or intentional
- We look for ready made leaders rather than developing potential leaders
- We simply fill leadership gaps rater than develop a culture of leadership development where leaders are constantly being produced and reproduced
- We are only concerned about the here and now leadership needs of our organization rather than the long term health and viability of our organization.
- We don’t hold the development of leaders as a high value in our organization.
- We allow excuses for not developing leaders to live inside our culture.
- We fail to recognize that leadership development is a discipline that must be practiced daily.
- We only want solutions where leadership development is fast and easy BUT IT’S NOT.